Friday, November 6, 2009

Honda Bay


We saved the best for last--island-hopping on Honda Bay.

We departed from Marina de Bay at a few minutes past 8am. It took us 20 minutes to get to the wharf where we registered our names, rented snorkeling equipment, and bought an underwater camera (I keep forgetting to bring the underwater casing for my cam).

Our first stop was Pandan Island, so-called because of the abundance of pandan trees. The kids were content on snorkeling near the shore but our boatman, who doubled up as guide, insisted that they venture farther towards the sea to see more varieties of fish and corals. I joined the throng. We all donned our life vests because the water was deep, except for Mr. G who's a fantastic swimmer. The seven-year old started to panic as we swam towards the deeper area so his mom held his hand for reassurance.

We had fun feeding the fish and tried our best to calm the seven-year old, but when the strong winds began to summon equally strong waves, there was no arguing with him. We quickly returned to shore.


It was perfect timing because by then Merlyn was done grilling the liempo. We also had packed meals of adobo and chopsuey.


After lunch, we relaxed and took a siesta. I found a nice, quiet spot with lounge huts at one end of the beach. We couldn't stay long, however, because another island was waiting.


Snake Island got its name from its shape, a twisting rope of an island with a long narrow tail made of blinding white sand. It was the most beautiful of the three islands we visited that day, although it is by no means superior to the other islands of Palawan. The islands of El Nido are still tops on my list.

After a long, blistering walk on the beach, I decided to spend the rest of my time on the shade with a book. Mr. G opted to sleep.


Our last stop was Starfish Island. According to Merlyn, it was the most beautiful of the three islands and the most ideal for swimming, which gave me high expectations. I was disappointed. I didn't see the starfishes I expected. The boatman had to fish three out of the water to appease me. And with corals and sharp stones mixed in with the sand, I found swimming full of effort.


The starfishes, back where they belong.

Tour cost: P1,100/person

No comments:

Post a Comment